[mythtv] MythMusic database schema suggestion

Jeffrey Brent McBeth mcbeth at broggs.org
Mon Jun 23 15:24:31 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 02:56:03PM -0500, Brian Lalor wrote:
> Hey all.  I've been using Myth for a couple of weeks now and I'm really
> impressed with it.  I've been too busy to play with the CVS code, but from
> what I hear, I'm really excited about the next release.
>
> In looking at the structure of the MythMusic database schema, I decided a
> lot of that data could be minimized and normalized to make for more
> efficient queries and to allow the database to do more of the work for
> searching for result sets while at the same time not having to work quite
> as hard.  I took a couple of minutes and whacked out what I think is a
> reasonable facsimile of a better database layout as it pertains to
> MythMusic.  The things that bother me about the current structure (as of
> 0.9.1) is the repetition of data for artist and album information for each
> track and the way that playlists are stored. By using a more relational
> schema, much of that information can be normalized (less maintenance,
> smaller data footprint) and the information can be queried more efficiently.

Cool.  As a side question, have you ever looked at the DigitalDJ meta-data
structures?  It might be cool to adopt its database structures.  That would
allow us to leverage "grip" to automagically rip/encode/enter into database.

Jeff
Computer Science is as much about computers as astronomy is about telescopes
	-- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (1930-2002)