[mythtv] MythMusic database schema suggestion

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Tue Jun 24 17:26:47 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 03:06:52PM -0500, Brian Lalor wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 12:16:59PM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> >

> >>on that note, many smaller DB queries are a much more efficient option
> >>than loading the whole thing into memory
> >

> >Not when you need all (or most) of the records anyway.
>
> I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you *never* need all (or even
> most) of the records, unless you've got a playlist with all of the tracks
> in the database in it, and even then its just one query.  Otherwise you're
> just wasting memory.

True enough, 10,000 rows of musicmetadata might cost you a whole 5M or so of
memory, representing up to 1% of the physical RAM in a modern PC.

Has anyone attempted to demonstrate that the database structures represent a
bottleneck?  I can fetch all of the rows out of musicmetadata in well under
a second from the command line.

--
 - mdz