[mythtv] problem with tonights cvs?

Craig Longman craigl at begeek.com
Sun Jun 29 14:57:46 EDT 2003

Chad McQuinn wrote:

>On 6/29/03 11:17 AM, "Craig Longman" <craigl at begeek.com> wrote:
>

>>>Because you are using a modern C++ compiler? Without -fno-operator-names any
>>>"new" g++ will compile code with 'and', 'or', 'bitand' etc, they are C++
>>>operators.
>>>

>>hmm, they're actually part of c++ now?  thats gonna look a little weird
>>until i get used to it.
>>

>These have been around for a long while now.

well, i guess that shows how long ago i actually learned c++ then.

>>well, if its standard, then encourage away i would say.  but if my
>>compiler (from debian stable) doesn't deal with it, then i would suggest
>>that it is a little too recent to standardize on.  i'm sure the last
>>thing this project needs is another compiler quirk to deal with on the
>>lists.
>>

>In my (possibly faulty) memory, these predate debian's existence, let alone
>the current debian stable. I just checked with the oldest c++ compiler I
>have access to (gcc 2.95.2); it handles 'and' in place of '&&' just fine.
>What it probably wouldn't like is 'and' in a .c (not .cpp) file. Is that
>maybe what happened here? I lost track of where the original error occurred.

strange, i'm using 2.95.4 (i don't think i've upgraded that since debian
stable) and it didn't work, and it was definitely in a cpp file
(scheduler.cpp).  the error was kinda unclear that it was the 'and' that
wasn't understood:

scheduler.cpp: In method `void Scheduler::MarkConflictsToRemove()':
scheduler.cpp:715: `doRank' undeclared (first use this function)
scheduler.cpp:715: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
scheduler.cpp:715: for each function it appears in.)
scheduler.cpp:715: parse error before `doRankFirst'
scheduler.cpp:729: confused by earlier errors, bailing out

the lines in question read:

712:    bool doRank = (bool)gContext->GetNumSetting("RankingActive");
713:    bool doRankFirst = (bool)gContext->GetNumSetting("RankingOrder");
714:
715:    if (doRank and doRankFirst)

i'm not at all sure whats going on then if that should work, but
changing it to '&&' from 'and' compiles fine.

anyway, this is perhaps getting less relevant to mythtv now.  just
wanted to show what the actual error was in case there is a problem with
2.95.4 that i don't know about.

cheers,

    CraigL->Thx();