[mythtv] Program Info protocol

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Mon Jun 30 05:32:21 EDT 2003

Isaac Richards wrote:

>I really don't care at all about forward/backwards compatibility at this stage of development.

Yes, I see that, I didn't propose such a strict strategy for right now.
However, I find the current state being a problem even during
development (see below), so a bit more stability would be needed IMHO.

>If someone can install a frontend, they can update it at the same time they update their backends.

They could, but it's a lot of hassle (need to update 2 or more machines
all the time) and more risky. If the backend breaks, I may miss a few
recordings -> dataloss. If a frontend breaks, I can just go to another
frontend and play it here or fix the frontend until it works. So, it's
reasonable to run only stable versions on the backend while using the
latest CVS on the frontend.

And, backend and frontend are not necessarily under the control of the
same entity, but that's a larger issue and would probably need a lot
more work anyways.