[mythtv] Multi-stage video storage

Craig Longman craigl at begeek.com
Mon Jun 30 18:08:32 EDT 2003

Guy Bayes wrote:

>What would be nice would be to build such automation
>to work in conjunction with the already existing
>excellent video format conversion script.
>
>It would:
>
>1: Convert TV recordings more then X days old into one
>of several configurable formats that are readably
>outside Myth.
>
>2: Move the archive file to the storage location.
>
>3: Delete the TV data and it's associated database
>entry.
>
>4: register the new archived video file and location
>with MythVideo.

i had been thinking something similar.  my main concerns is that as i
start keeping shows/etc that i've recorded, my 'watch recrdings' list is
getting bigger and bigger, and harder to find the new stuff i'm
interested in.  i was thinking that after i transcoded down and removed
commercials, i could optionally transfer it to a 'mytharchive' module,
which would look very similar to the watch recordings screen in mythtv,
but use separate tables to differentiate between recordings i'm
archiving and things that i've just recorded but not watched yet.  in
addition to moving it in the database, i want to optionally have a
separate location to store the archived files.

i'm not really a big compressed movie fan, so i've not bothered to even
look at mythvideo, but maybe i should.  although i really do like the
way watch recordings organizes the lists though, so i might still want
to keep it separate from mythvideo.  i'll check it out tonight i think.

cheers,

    CraigL->Thx();