[mythtv] Manual recording

Emil Friis mythtv at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 3 12:03:20 EST 2003

I have been missing the ability to manually start recording. This would
make it possible to do the following:

1) Just hit the record button while watching and it will start recording
(without having to go into the EPG) and hit it again to stop recording.
That way I can record just that little snippet that I am interested in.

2) Manual setup of a recording that does not necessarily correspond with
an entry in the program table. For example my girlfriend wants me to
record Goodmorning America when they talk to the bachelorette. We know
that it is in the 1st half of the 2nd hour and I don't want to waste the
2 hrs of diskspace that the program lasts just for that. If I can just
specify a channel, start time and stop time that would be great.

3) I can switch to composite in, attach my video camera and just hit
record to store all my home video in Myth. Especially if we eventually
have the ability to create VCDs from recordings.

Now I am not a programmer - I know web, wireless/mobile devices (looking
at adding support to mythweb for devices like wirelessly connected
PocketPCs and Palm devices, so if someone has any ideas on what
functionality they would like on a mobile device, please let me
know), scripting and very little java. I did spend some time yesterday
looking at the code and made a little patch to ScheduledRecording that
allows you to set up something to record that does not have a program
guide entry. All you need to do is insert a row in record with
recordtype 5 (ManualRecord) and give it your own title description etc.

I did it more for my own benefit (learning) but might keep playing with
it if other people like the functionality even though I'll probably only
be able to add interfaces for it in mythweb.

-Emil