[mythtv] Re: Re: PATCH: mythfilldatabase v1.43 -- arbitrary end times

J JTech at interbaun.com
Mon Mar 3 14:14:59 EST 2003

>On Monday 03 March 2003 06:45 am, J wrote:
> > Yes, however when I was experimenting with the algorithm,  I found that the
> > batch file to create the temp databases,  was both faster and less memory
> > intensive.  Since this approach needs to have the entire program database
> > indexed,  doing that without the temp databases would mean that the whole
> > program database would have to be read into memory, indexed, and then,
> > rather than doing comparisons on the very small subset of entries (in
> > temp2), you would end up reviewing all the entries. For example, my program
> > database has 17603 records, but temp2 only contains 465.  Since mysql is
> > already optimized for this sort of operation, it seemed the most efficient
> > and elegant solution.
> >
> > That being said,  is it the use of the temp tables, the batch file, or both
> > that you find objectionable?
>
>The batch file.  But, why would you need the entire database for this?  Seems
>like it'd be pretty simple to just make an internal list of programs you
>didn't have endtimes for on a per-day basis (should be one per channel), and
>then just hit the db for the all next programs' start time once the next day
>has been populated.
>
>Isaac

I had no luck designing a query that would just get the first program on a
given day on a given channel, (since there is no fixed start time) hence
the indexed, sorted temp table.  Additionally, in order to adjust the end
times for the last day captured, you have to revisit them when the next
day's programs are grabbed.

I was planning on removing the need for the temp2 table using the method
you suggest, but I wanted to make sure that the approach was sound before I
started making extensive changes to the existing code.

Joe.