[mythtv] non-Xv display support in CVS.

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Mar 5 01:37:00 EST 2003

I found the reason it wasn't pegging my cpu was because of scaling.

I added code to use XShm functions to try to speed up the non-Xv output
and saw a small but non-significant speedup.  The problem is in the
scaling code.  It's something I coded up and isn't mmx optimized or
anything right now.  If I turn off scaling of my 352x480 video, then
mythfrontend cpu usage goes to less than 9% on my Athlon 700.  If I
turn on scaling up to 640x480, it pegs the cpu during playback.  So,
I'm looking at optimizing the scaling function.  Best case is if someone
has to use non-Xv output, then they record at screen resolution (ie,
GUI @ 640x480, record at 640x480).  I'm looking to see if I can find
any mmx optimized scaling routines.  If anyone knows of any, please
let me know.

The XShm should get rid of a lot of the cpu time that X was using up,
but the scaling would probably just absorb all it can right now.

> It's very slow for me.  On my Athlon XP 1700+, playback of recorded video
> pegs the CPU at 100% and the video playback is too slow and choppy to
> watch.  Of course Live TV is even worse.  Durring playback, mythfrontend
> takes anywhere from 60-90% of the CPU time and X takes most of the rest.
> With the Xv drivers the CPU hovers around 15-20% utilization for
> simultaneous record/play.  Perhaps there are some X optimizations required
> that I'm not aware of.  I'm using the fbdev driver on XFree86 4.2.1 (with
> a Radeon 8500).
>
> -Doug

Chris