[mythtv] non-Xv display support in CVS.

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Mar 7 23:11:56 EST 2003

Can you try setting an environment variable called NO_SHM before
running mythfrontend, or just run this:

"NO_SHM=1 mythfrontend"

That will disable shared memory.  I think the problem occurs way before
that gets though.

Please paste in the exact error messages you're getting so I can try to
figure out what functions are giving the errors.

Also, what color depth and resolution are you using.

Also, reply in the mythtv-users mailing list please and I'll try to help
you there.

> I'm trying to use the non-Xv mode for MythTV.
>
> The output I get when I click on "Watch TV" is an "X
> Error: Bad Value," a few "X Error: Bad Window"s, then
> the falling back to non-Xv info, finally "shmget
> failed:: Invalid argument" and a segfault. (I can give
> more details if you need them.)
>
> I'm using the fbdev in mandrake 9.1 on a radeon.  Is
> there something I can do to get this to work?
>
> MythMusic/MythGallery work fine.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy
>
> --- Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> > Thanks for the update, hopefully the code will be of
> > use to someone.  I
> > started the code originally so I could run
> > mythfrontend and display it
> > over the net (hence no Xv support) during testing.
> >
> > Now back to my regularly scheduled commercial skip
> > programming. :)
> >
> > > Chris,
> > >
> > > That works much better.  Without changing the
> > capture or display
> > > resolutions (still capture at 480x480 and display
> > at 800x600) video plays
> > > at full rate and the CPU load is at about 65% with
> > 60% for X and 5% for
> > > the mythfrontend procs.  With capture and display
> > both set to 640x480
> > > playback takes less than 50% of the CPU time with
> > X using most of it.
> >
> > Chris

Chris