[mythtv] record/playback bug

Eli Criffield myth at zendo.net
Thu Mar 13 09:29:08 EST 2003

Yep setting it to those settings did the trick. Thanks for the great
explanation of whats going on, this should be added to the FAQ for anyone
else getting fast video playback, the OSD time is off, or lost the ability to
rewind or fast forward acutely goes back-wards.

With the settings suggested the cpu usage of mythbackend hovers around 60%
to 70%. The pixelation is pretty noticeable but the motion is a lot smother.
It seems it should be possible to get a picture with out noticeable
pixelation and smooth motion and not drop frames on an Athlon-xp 1600, I'll
try different settings tonight and see what i can come up with.

Is there some way to add an error message when it can't drop frames fast
enough to keep putting 30frames/sec in the file? That would be useful.

I now have good understanding of different resolutions and how much cpu
should be free.

I still don't quite understand how the min quality and the maximum quality
and the bit-rate work together. Is the bit-rate variable at all or does the
bit-rate setting absolutely define your file size for a giving time. If it is
absolute shouldn't that combined with your resolution define the quality?

How does the encoder decide what quality to use between the min and the
maximum? It doesn't appear to be cpu related otherwise it would use as many
cycles as it could, thus having a higher cpu usage then 60%.

eli