[mythtv] database schema

Andy Davidoff dert at pobox.com
Sun Mar 16 02:37:29 EST 2003

#if Mike Javorski /* Mar 15, 23:29 */
> Actually, I CAN get actual original dates, but whatever..

Really?  Apologies; please patch the schema for that too, then! ;-)

> In what sense are you speaking of "strings". Do you mean for
> titles,series and things of that nature? if so there is the problem of
> standardization.. the ideal thing to do would be to have each series
> have an official "number" and do everything numerically (this is how
> TiVo manages everything, with numerical record ID's). This is NOT a
> small task though, and would take some creative coordination..
#endif /* mikej at carmelfly.com */

It sounds to me like you're talking about episode numbers, which I was
not aware TiVo stored (it doesn't seem to be in the TiVo UI).  Here in
tv_grab_na-land, I don't see episode numbers either, so that's why I
didn't parse/insert them into the DB.  If you've got 'em, go for it.

If you're talking about "breakeation" or the hashing of strings, or
reference counting, then you're talking about more sophisticated
solutions to the problem.

I'm just talking about the title, subtitle, and description fields of
the program table.  Long strings which could be stored elsewhere to
reduce table/index sizes, seek times, and so on.  We'd replace them
with integers (in the program table) which would be foreign keys into
the string-store.  Reference counting is "free", but I doubt it'd be
worth the added complexity.  I would call this a "small task".