[mythtv] Manual recording

Chris Derossi chrismyth at derossi.com
Wed Mar 19 00:51:48 EST 2003

One of my main uses for MythTV is to put my kids' videos on a server so they don't have to physically get to the DVD player and VCR. So I want to be able to transfer shows to my MythTV box and have them show up in the recorded shows list.

I've built a Manual Recording page that shows the current live TV, allows you to enter title and subtitle, has a button for starting the recording, and is designed to stop recording after a specified number of minutes or when you press the Stop button. My goal was to interactively start the recording by waiting for the right point, and then either manually stop the recording when it's over, or have it stop after some number of minutes and use the cutpoints to edit away any extra past the end.

So far, the manual recording page can be connected to a menu and loads correctly. The live TV shows up (mostly) properly. Now I'm working on getting the recording started.

For those of you who have worked with the code, what would you recommend? I tried creating a ScheduledRecording, populating it, and calling .save(db). This writes the correct information to the database just fine. However, the query to find recordings requires that an entry in the record table match with entries in the channel and program tables. Channel doesn't apply for me since I'm using composite exclusively, and obviously the program I want to record isn't in the program table.

Should I create a TVRec object myself and operate it? (Or will that require corresponding program table information as well?)

Should I change the way ScheduledRecording queries the database so it honors entries in the record table that don't correspond to programs?

Is there a different class that has the features, or a good starting point for the features I want?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

_chris