[mythtv] Re: Adding DVB-T support to MythTV

Matthew S. Hallacy poptix at techmonkeys.org
Wed Mar 19 04:47:49 EST 2003

[Side note: Get a decent email client]
[Side note 2: Trim your posts]

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 09:28:32AM +0000, matt.jarvis at philips.com wrote:
> Dear Richard
>
> I completely agree the decoding to re-encode is wasteful, but considering
> that in order to run myth most people are using way powerful processors
> anyway, there certainly looks like there should be enough cpu cycles
> floating around to not make this an issue ( my box has an athlon xp 1800,
> with 512mb of memory. )

It's utterly stupid to do this, there is nothing to prove -- yes, you can
decode the stream, them shove it back into something that Myth can accept.

Why bother? You might as well use the A/V inputs on a standard WinTV card.

The proper way to do this, does NOT require a 'rewrite' of MythTV. As
Isaac has stated before, you simply need to add support for MPEG(1/2)
input streams. From what I've been told, it wouldn't even be terribly
hard, it just needs someone who can wrap their brain around C++ and
NuppelVideo. Please, don't waste your time on such a horrid hack that
does no good.

The only other modification you might need is the storage format, I'd hate
to be getting a high quality MPEG-2 stream only to waste CPU re-encoding
it into some other format.