[mythtv] Re: Adding DVB-T support to MythTV

Richard King rak at cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 15:33:29 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 jng_junk at greenmail.demon.co.uk wrote:

> This is the route I was originally thinking about, but I wasn't sure about
> the video side of things within MythTV. 'dvbstream' has the feature to
> dynamically change channels without the need to restart it (you
> communicate over a socket). This would provide quicker channel changing
> facilities.
I didn't know about this but I think you might run into problems with the
way the MPEG stream is saved if you change its source halfway through
recording.

> So to summarise, are we saying this if NuppelVideo supported the MPEG
> streams generated by dvbstream, this is all that is required?
It should be simple to support playback of MPEG2 streams. libavcodec says
it supports this so it should basically work as long as the right codec is
specified in the NUV file. You might have to add a bit to support audio
properly, I'm not sure.

Getting the MPEG stream into the NUV file is more of a challenge. NUV
files are a container format that store each stream seperately. ie audio
and video. The best thing to do is to get two seperate streams from
dvbstream, one for video and one for audio. These can then be placed
directly into the NUV file. Though you may have to deal with some sync
issues. Or you can add some code to demultiplex the program stream that
dvbstream supplies within Myth. This is likely to have less sync issues.

--
Richard King
E-mail: rak at cs.man.ac.uk