[mythtv] Capture Card Resolution

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Mar 21 03:13:13 EST 2003

Edward Wildgoose wrote:

> I have tested with 786 and it DOES seem to do something. I
 > don't know how to check that it really IS recording at 768

(turn off 'fixed aspect ratio' and press 'f' during playback
to see the video at the actual recording dimensions...)

 > though, however, I get video out of the thing (although it
 > skips on my machine).  Quality is noticably higher than
 > 640x480 actually.

Good enough. As long as the encoder library didn't spew errors
and it didn't seg fault or fail in some other way, it's okay.

 > ...However, there is a line which appears to be scaling
 > bits/sec (something like "scale = (h * w) / (640x480);" and this
 > I assume is not quite correct on PAL sets?

Not a problem. This would be the scaled bit rate. It just
normalizes the bit rate to something. Greater than 1.0 is just
as valid as less than 1.0. Once you find a bit rate you like,
you can change the resolution without having to multiply the
bit rate to get the same quality. This is just a relative scale.

--  bjm