[mythtv] Re: Adding DVB-T support to MythTV

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sat Mar 22 08:18:52 EST 2003

> Van: Martyn Weber <mythtv at blacksun.uk.com>
>
> The other thing I cant understand, but Im a complete novice to video so
> thats no surprise, is why to encode the mpg stream in a nuv file anyway.
> Cant MythTV be changed to support mpg files directly? A lot of people,
> myself included are trying to export recorded programs to VCD or DVD and
> are having to convert the nuv files to mpg(1 or 2) and recombine the
> audio and video streams (together with the associated sync problems).
> Wouldn't using mpg file format directly simplify this? What am I missing?

NuppelVideo is just a wrapper for the video and audio, much like avi-files.
It contians an index used to search in the file. The system for storing
frames in this format is already there.

You might say it's lazy not to add mpeg2 fileformat, but it involves more
things than just the storing-the-stream side... (storing closed captioning,
playback, the 'recorded' database, etc.)

	Henk Poley <><