[mythtv] Slave backend using different encodings specs

Ben Brown ben at handcoder.com
Mon Mar 24 22:01:39 EST 2003

>This is more or less what I was suggesting; I'm not sure that it makes
>sense to do it in every case, as a complete additional layer of
indirection,
>however.  I think that two settings or so would be sufficient, and much
simpler.
>For example, one setting for the default profile for recording, and
another setting for the
>default profile for Live TV.  Since we have per-host settings, this
would
>also provide for different defaults for different systems.

This is exactly what I was hoping already existed.  In my case, for
example, I have machine A with a TV Wonder card and machine B with a
g200 card.  I want machine A to use MPEG4 for Live TV, and I want
machine B to use MJPEG for Live TV.

I really think this is all that would be needed. It would allow you to
make sure that every host didn't try to encode/decode more than it could
handle, while still keeping it simple and easy to maintain.
Unfortunately we don't have this setup yet, and I'm not near the c++
coder that would be required. I guess I'll just have to wait a while on
that second machine.

Ben