[mythtv] Dual (simultaneous) use of MythTV box

Cliff Draper Cliff.Draper at Sun.com
Tue Mar 25 13:47:24 EST 2003

From: Mike Thomson <linux at m-thomson.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:11:42 +0000
> The question is, if I have MythTV running and (eventually) integrated with
> an IR control of some kind, can I still use a keyboard / mouse / monitor and
> do work on that display while my wife is watching Live TV or prerecorded
> shows via the TV?
>
> I am confused as to how the keyboard and mouse will/won't react with the
> virtual keypresses registered by the IR controller...

I haven't tried it before (and from the loud silence you heard, I bet
no one else here has), but it will probably work.  It might be a bit
of a pain to configure to make it work though.

You would need to run 2 X servers at the same time; one on each VGA
card.  I hope you have enough memory.  You'd probably have to tell the
X server you run MythTV on that it has no mouse and no keyboard (or
else both X servers will try to use the same devices and would stomp
on each other).  The program that translates IR events to key presses
is irxevent, and I'd bet that it sends those key presses to the X
server it was run under.

Hope that helps.

Cliff Draper    Sun Microsystems, Forte Tools
My opinions may or may not reflect those of my employer.
"Maturity is when you quit blaming other people for your problems."
 - Craig Burton