[mythtv] Thor's New Playlist Interface 101

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Wed Mar 26 19:09:11 EST 2003

On Wednesday 26 March 2003 06:04 pm, jasonmiller wrote:
> Thor's new playlist functionality is a great addition but is somewhat
> difficult to figure out in the absence of any documentation :)

	Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this.

> Q: How do I create a new playlist?
> A: Using the MythMusic 'Select Music' menu option, setup the playlist as
> you normally would by adding songs or other playlists as needed.  When you
> are ready to save the new playlist, highlight 'Active Play Queue' at the
> bottom of the selection tree and hit the 'i' key. This will popup a menu
> allowing you to name and save the new playlist.

	You can also hit Enter to bring up the popup on the Active Play Queue. This
does not work on the playlists above, as Enter is obviously bound to
checking/unchecking the boxes.

	Any number (ie. keypad on remote) will also bring up the menu in both cases.

> Q: How do I enter the playlist name in the text field without a keyboard?
> A: Use the keypad number keys (bound to your remote) to select letters cell
> phone style.

	Quasi-cell phone style. Keys 2-9 work pretty much like any cell phone text
entry. 1 cycles through a few special characters, delete, and space. 0 is
like a CAPS LOCK. Hard to describe, fairly easy to use. You will soon be able
to specify the cycle timing in a Setup screen. You can type fairly quickly
through a combination of jumping around the number keys AND hitting a
non-number key (right arrow is particularily good for this) to force the
current character.

> Q: How do I edit a playlist?
> A: Highlight the playlist in the selection tree and hit the 'i' key then
> select 'Move to Active Play Queue' in the popup.  Now you can modify the
> 'Active Play Queue' like normal, adding songs and playlists by selecting
> them from the song tree.  When you are done, highlight the 'Active Play
> Queue' in the selection tree and hit the 'i' key then select 'Save Back to
> Playlist Tree'.

	And whatever you were editing as your Active Queue before you moved an
existing playlist "on top" of Active reappears. Think of Active has having a
push on, pop off capability, but with a depth of only 1.

> Q: How do I delete an item from a playlist?
> A: Highlight the item in the selection tree and hit the 'd' key.

	Some ongoing debate about this ... could use i to get a popup with only one
menu item (delete). That would be consistent and require one less key binding
(no d). Suggestions welcome.

- thor