[mythtv] small, screwy fonts in Mandrake 9 + MythTV

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Mon Mar 31 12:40:59 EST 2003

Nathan Ziarek wrote
> Using all of the default settings in Mandrake 9 for MythTV, I cannot get the
> fonts to look the same way as in the screen shots.
>
> They are too small and because of that not properly centered (like in the
> Iulius Menu). Plus, while the OSD font smoothes (anti aliases) fine, none of
> the menus do.
>
> This is all on a Mandrake 9 system with the MST Core Fonts installed. I've
> tried everything I can think of, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated.

what resolution are you running for XWindows?  I noticed that
X "tries to be smart" about scaling fonts based on resolution.

Most of the time, I run at a higher resolution that uses the
100dpi fonts, but when I run at 640x480, the 75dpi fonts were
used, which looked much more than 25% smaller in MythTV.

It's almost like MythTV is trying to compensate for the smaller
font, but is doing so in the wrong direction...

-Chris