[mythtv] Ugly Fonts

Michael J. Pedersen michael.j.pedersen at verizon.net
Mon May 5 20:36:27 EDT 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 12:56:24AM -0400, Craig Longman wrote:
> Michael J. Pedersen wrote:
>
> >I go to vt7, and everything looks beautiful. I run mythtv in it, and
> >it's truly pleasant to look at. I switch over to vt8, and mythtv is
> >hideous. Fonts are beyond ugly.
> >
> much of the ui (progarm guide, osd i think) uses hard-coded fonts/sizes
> in the ui.xml files around in the themes directory, and it uses Arial
> (iirc).  someone advised me to install the ms fonts ( i think the debian
> package is called mscorefonts, it installed quite easily) then
> everything started looking much better for me.

Nope, no go. It's most bizarre. Same computer, same video card, same
video driver. Fire up X on vt7, and everything is beautiful. Fire it up
on vt8, and the fonts are really really bad. Maybe it's got something to
do with vt7 running gnome/gdm, and vt8 runs fvwm. Anybody else with
ideas on how to fix this?

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net