[mythtv] Via EPIA M as a frontend, seperating the databases

Zagaroth zagaroth at wave.co.nz
Sun Nov 2 01:25:57 EST 2003

> > Hello's Everyone.
>
> > -HW decoding on the CLE266
>
> I wouldn't recommend that route, the CLE266 binary driver isn't one of
> the best implemented or supported pieces of software around (being very
> euphemistic), I never got it playing nicely, it worked, but that's all.
> The TV-out isn't as good as the GF4MX's and not nearly comparable to a
> dedicated H/W decoder card.
>
> I would recommend a PVR-350, browse the list on details. This card's
> support is currently reaching a usable state and is heavily supported
> (here and over at ivtv-devel). Isaac dropped CLE266 support (or
> development of) recently, so that is a dead end with mythtv and with via
> (I don't think they'll work any further on their drivers and xine
> version).

Sadly here in New Zealand there are no resellers of the PVR-350. If
i want to get hold of one i have to order it from the U.S.A. Where
it would cost me bout US$160 for the card and about another US$100
odd for the postage to New Zealand. Sadly i can't afford this. And being
that i already have a VIA EPIA M board i though i would try and use that.
also i can fit the VIA board (with PCI cards) into a VERY small case which
will look nice and pretty sitting beside the TV.