[mythtv] Regular expressions for program matching

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:42:32 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:21:54 -0500 (EST), "Chris Pinkham
cpinkham-at-bc2va.org |mythtv/1.0-Allow|" <ucf4hmwsah0t at sneakemail.com>
said:
> > The discussions on conflict resolution got me thinkning about a feature
> > that I'd find very useful.
> >
> > Specifically, I'd like to be able to record a program based on regexp
> > matching of title, subtitle, and description.
>
> Something like this has been on my mental TODO list for a while. :)  It
> could be even easier than thought also.  The UI is the main problem.
> When searching for matching programs to record, instead of checking this:
>
> 	program.title = record.title
>
> it could just do something like this:
>
> 	program.title like record.title

Yep, that is what I was thinking.  except that it should be toggleable.
It is quite likely to get false positives in some cases even with full
titles if you don't have a switch that says 'use regex'.  So I figured
you needed an additional field in the record table for that.

> > The frontend is more tricky.  It would basically require keyboard input
> > (yuck), and would require a new screen where you could type the relevant
> > info.  It would also solve the problem of trying to record a program
>
> Personally I don't mind having to use a keyboard to do some things like
> this,
> but I think Myth has a remote-editable lineedit widget doesn't it?  I
> thought either the manual or instant record used something like this.
You may be right, I'll look into this.

> > With something like this, it would probably be useful to have a way to
> > veiw the record table to manage entries which have no match in the
> > current program listing.
>
> The ranking screen already allows editing any record table entry.
Didn't realize that.  I've never used the ranking screen inside
mythfrontend.  By the way, compeletely off topic, the buttons for
controlling recoridngs are compeletly non-intuitive....go into 'Fix
Conflicts' to see what the recording lineup looks like....go into the
ranking screen to see the list of programs in the record table.
Whatever....I don't care enough to fix it.

Maybe I'll just start with mythbackend and mythweb.  It always takes me a
lot longer to do UI changes and get them right.

.Geoff