[mythtv] PVR 250 & Linux vs Windows PVRs

George & Kim Lopez gklopez at metacrawler.com
Wed Nov 12 11:45:24 EST 2003

I have seen, with mixed results, Linux PVR
solutions using Hauppauge PVR 250 tuner cards on
different systems.  I am in the research phase
(reading the web, subscribing to mail-lists,
downloading How-to Manuals, etc) of converting
one of my computers (P4, 2.4 GHz), currently in
a closet, into a Linux PVR.  I am curious if
anyone has actually gotten the system up and
running to a satisfactory condition.  I am not
necessarily an audio-phile.  I just want to be
able to record and archive different TV shows or
music off of my Direct TV.
   I am about to buy my TV tuner card (the only
piece of equipment I think I am missing) and was
considering the Hauppauge PVR 250 or 350 or the
Pinnacle Pro.  From the Hauppauge and Pinnacle
web-site, it looks like I could set up a Windows
PVR solution instead of Linux.  Any thoughts on
this?  Why would this NOT be a good solution
other than the fact that it would be M$.  Please
accept my apologies as I realize I have
bombarded you with a ton of questions.  I would
appreciate any info you could provide.  I will
do my best to document my results and post my
learnings or travails.  Admittedly, I am a bit
of a Linux newbie as I have not messed with it
since RH 6.2 came out.

Thanks,
George

Searching for the best free email?  Try MetaCrawler Mail, from the #1 metasearch service on the Web, http://www.metacrawler.com