[mythtv] PVR 250 & Linux vs Windows PVRs

Gregory McLean gregm at gxsnmp.org
Wed Nov 12 15:21:36 EST 2003

Scott Beck wrote:
> Cedar McKay wrote:
>

>>> I've personally had no luck with transcoding the mpeg output by the
>>> pvr250 so archiving may prove difficult.
>>>
>> Cedar's guide to archiving shows created by the pvr250:
>>
>> 1)Find relevant .nuv file in your recordings directory.
>> 2)Rename .nuv to .mpg
>> 3)There is no step 3
>>
>> This file is a standard mpg that can be burned to dvd or cd, played in
>> media player, or manipulated using any of the standard
>> windows/mac/linux tools that can hande .mpg (which is most of them).
>>
> There is nothing _standard_ about the mpeg the pvr250 creates. Many
> things I tried to use to transcode them saw the mpeg as broken. The
> things that would actually transcode it would cut the wrong sections for
> commercials and the sound would end up out of sync.

Actually they are standard for the DVD/VCD world. (as strange and bizzar
as that is) I haven't had a problem at all with the DVD's I've made
playing in stand alone players. (ones that can read the DVD-R media that
is) In anycase I use a pinnacle card for the usual watching/recording
and the PVR for DVD/VCD mastering.

transcode should be able to handle them (-M <x> command line argument
will keep things in sync)

As far as editing mpegs... well thats an another big mess. If you're not
cutting on a GOP  then things get wierd. And is the GOP open or closed?
etc etc... If you plan on editing the mpegs that the pvr250 creates set
the option for closed GOP's that should help some.

Greg