[mythtv] PVR 250 & Linux vs Windows PVRs

Desmond Rivet desmond_rivet at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 20:56:57 EST 2003

I currently use a PVR-350 in a 2.4GHz P4 box. For the most part things work
great. And the scheduling is rather intelligent - MythTV it won't record a
program if you already have it, and it can sometimes even resolve schduling
conflicts on its own (i.e. if program A and program B are on at the same
time C, and you've set both to record, but program A is on later at time D,
MythTV will record program B at time C and program A at time D without
intervention).

Things get complicated if you have an external tuner. I had to build my own
transmitter - solder and all.  Wasn't very hard, but it's something to
consider. Instructions are on the LIRC site. Your external tuner (if you
have one) may be controllable via a serial cable. Mine was not.

MPEG2's are a bit difficult to edit (it's not just a simple matter of
cutting out the frames you don't want). As far as I'm aware, MythTV does not
let you edit MPEG2 files via the onscreen GUI. On the other hand, the files
are ready to be burned on a DVD.

TV out is another issue - support for TV out on the PVR-350 is in the
development stage. I've done brief experiments with the driver and the
quality is great. Almost indistiguishable from actual TV. You won't get that
if you simply use the TV out on your video card.

Mythmusic is great, so is Mythvideo. This is one of the main reasons I use
MythTV - the add-ons. When I first started this project, I was lookiing to
build a complete "media center". Something that would not only record TV and
archive the shows, but play music, DVDs, etc. MythTV is a great project in
this regard - and I don't think any other piece of free software, on any
platform, Windows included, comes close.