[mythtv] PVR 250 & Linux vs Windows PVRs

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Fri Nov 14 03:22:15 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Boyd II, Willy wrote:

> And just to extend on this (though I think it might have been mentioned
> already), DVB-s is not used much (at all?) here in America.  Unfortunately
> we Americans have to deal with proprietary digital satellite from Directv
> and Dish Network, in which case an external box is the only solution.

... and in other places, even though standard DVB technologies are
used, proprietary encryption is added.  The result being that direct
access to the transmitted MPEG2 stream remains frustratingly just out
of reach and a big external box and LIRC lash ups are needed.

Not to mention the stupididty of the external box converting
mpeg->analogue and the PVR card converting it straight back into mpeg.

AND you lose the ability to record multiple channels off the same
multplex with a single dvb card.

Thanks a lot, Sky.  Sigh.

Steve