[mythtv] Bayesian analysis

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Sat Nov 15 11:09:00 EST 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Kirby Vandivort wrote:

> Well, mine give me 500 programs that its not recording that I've never
> heard of.  :)

:)
What sort of scores did it give the programs?  The top ones on my list are
all things that I record, and score very highly (e.g. 98% or more).

> At any rate, we need to get together on this.  I'm currently in the
> process of writing some code that will add rankings to the user interface
> where users can rate random programs that they like or dislike and the
> step i was planning after that was to do the bayesian.  (perhaps you've
> looked at the recommendations patches that I sent to the list a couple
> of months ago.  If not, I would recommend trying it out)

I hadn't spotted them - I'll have to have a look.  I'm not convinced that
treating all the programs that don't get watched as "bad" is a valid idea
- they should probably be neutral.  By reading the rankings then there is
a valid source of bad programs so the main listings can be neutral.  Maybe
a good method is to present the top 10 programs the bayesian analysis
finds to the user and let them rate them, that way it might weed out the
false positives.

One of my thoughts (which I mentioned in the readme) is that it might be
good to have a central database of viewing habits (for those people who
don't have a problem with submitting that kind of data).  Because with a
reasonably sized database you could probably extract amazon.com-style
"People who watched 'Startrek' also watched 'Firefly'" type details, which
may be more beneficial than self-analysis.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/

        *** Presented in DoubleVision (Where Drunk) - Futurama ***