[mythtv] Video Processing/Audio Synch issues

George & Kim Lopez gklopez at metacrawler.com
Tue Nov 18 14:54:54 EST 2003

I have started the ground work for building a
PVR.  I installed a Hauppauge PVR 250 this
weekend (P4 2.4 Ghz, 256 RAM).  Got the files I
wanted off of my computer and onto CDs.  Then I
tested my capture card under Win XP to make sure
the card worked.  I had a couple of issues and
was wondering if anyone could tell me if MythTV
addresses them.

1.  The SW that came with the card searched for
channels 1-125 and identified the typical prime-
time channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc).  However, if
I change the channel on the computer to channel
3, I get my satellite channels.  I have to use
my satellite remote to change these channels
 from the History Channel to Foxnews, etc.  How
does MythTV deal with this situation?

2.  I captured a 30 minute vcr tape into an MPEG
format.  No problems there (800Mb).  However, I
wanted to be able to see this on my DVD player
in the living room so I made a VCD (~280Mb).
    A.  It took about 40 minutes just to
convert from MPEG to VCD.  Will every 30 minutes
of record time require 40-45 minutes of VCD
processing time in MythTV as well?
    B.  By the end of the VCD, the sound was
about 2-4 seconds faster than the video.  How
does Myth, or any other program deal with
this?
    C.  I could not cut the file size down from
800Mb to something smaller so I could burn the
original MPEG file minus ~75Mb onto a CD.  Is
this even possible?

And so my investigation continues.  I will say
my wife was not very impressed with my efforts.
She said something to the effect of "All this
time and you don't even have the Linux thing
loaded yet?"

Appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,
George