[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

David Engel dlengel at attbi.com
Thu Nov 20 19:04:50 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 11:42:25PM +0100, avalanche at beyondmonkey.com wrote:
> Sounds good, I attached a patch with some changes to the mutex stuff. I think
> it should hold up till you're done with the new socket class. ;)

I've done some googling and reading of man pages regarding Qt and
think we might be making this harder than it has to be.  Of course, I
could be totally off base too.

According to my reading, everthing GUI related, including event
handling, must and does occur in only one thread.  Since we're not
using multiple threads in the cases we've been discussing, we
shouldn't need any mutexes at all.  All we should need to worry about
is re-entrancy within a single thread, and that can be handled can be
handled with the ignoreevents/allowKeys technique as long as we
check/set/clear in the right places.

David
--
David Engel