[mythtv] I can't get Live TV with DVB-T...

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Sat Nov 22 17:53:47 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 23:36, Denis Grilli wrote:
> Alle 19:47, sabato 22 novembre 2003, Joe Tapply ha scritto:
> >       when I try and watch live TV, the frontend exits,
> > 	reporting that it can't open the ringbuf. I have looked at the
> > 	ringbuffer file, and it is indeed zero length - probably because
> > 	the backend hasn't bothered to fill it - it doesn't output any
> > 	'changing from None to Watching Live TV' message, and I do get
> > 	these status messages when watching pre-recorded stuff.
> I have similar problem with DVB-S....Frontend don't exit but don't responde to
> press key; i forced to kill it.
> As you say the problem is ringbuffer that if is not fill force frontend (or
> backend??) in loop...
> Is the case of wrong channel data (ex. frequency) or bad signal....
>
> I post the problem often in this mailing list but anyone answer me.....

If the backend (for whatever reason; loss of signal, wrong pids, ...)
does not receive data from the capture card, the frontend will appear to
lock up trying to receive a datastream (wait forever).

Make sure that you actually have a lock on a frequency first (use
'mythbackend -v channel' to get more info). If there is still nothing
coming out of the card, one of the other channel parameters are most
probably wrong (usually the pids). You can test the signal parameters
(everything except pids) with the signal monitor you get if you patch
your cvs checkout with the patch located here (look on under card
configuration/advanced): http://home.no/mythtv-dvb

Also, the backend should print messages if no data at all is received
from the card.

If you have problems still, post a more detailed report (include the
parameters and the location you are trying to tune).

I would appreciate any feedback on the patch.

Hope it helps,
Kenneth