[mythtv] XMLTV with imdb

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Wed Nov 26 14:26:53 EST 2003

You can use tv_imdb already.

Just configure the tv grabber and download the xml file, then just process
the xml file with tv_imdb and you will get a new file that you can send to
mythfilldatabase.
I use a smal shell script that looks something like this:

tv_grab_sn --days 14 --output file1.xml
tv_imdb --imdbdir /the/dir --output file2.xml file1.xml
mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 file2.xml

I know I coud probably use pipes, but its good to have the files incase
tv_imdb fails.
Before tv_imdb will work you have to download and create the imdb database,
this takes a realy long time on my athlonxp 1600+ with 256Mb memory, it eats
loads of memory in the last stage.
I tried tv_imdb on my windows computer and the tv_imdb process used around
700Mb

The problem with mythtv and tv_imdb is that mythtv uses only the first
category in the xml file and that one is usualy not very usefull.
So I think mythtv needs to support multiple categories.