[mythtv] Revamping the plugin system.

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Thu Nov 27 10:49:53 EST 2003

On Thursday 27 November 2003 10:29, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> To that end I've been working on a
> revamped plugin system for MythTV to allow for new types of plugins
> and a more complete plugin framework.

	I've been working on some similar ideas. Not sure if you've seen the
mfd (myth frontend daemon) branch of the cvs tree. It's a headless
daemon that loads plugins to do things like hold metadata, find other
frontends (automagically using zeroconfig), serve content as services
(eg. audio files served over DAAP), etc. I'm just  in the middle of
getting all the metadata auto scanning stuff finished, and then I was
planning on "stealing" your monitoring code for optical drives.

	The idea would then be to rewrite the clients so that they become
thinner, just asking the mfd for metadata and services and presenting
the themeable/GUI view of those resources to the user.

	Not sure if this fits with what you're thinking about, but it doesn't
sound too far off. If you're planning to do this kind of major work,
you should probably drop by #mythtv on freenode.

- thor