[mythtv] DVB, (new) recording profiles, and transcoding

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Oct 3 10:33:21 EDT 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:32:22 +0100, "Edward Wildgoose
Edward.Wildgoose-at-FRMHedge.com |mythtv/1.0-Allow|"
<pfnahiui2x0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> For the UK at least over DVB-T (ie free to air).  The mpeg is usually in
> 720x576 with an embedded aspect ratio of 16:9 (implies that maintaining
> embedded aspect ratio is important)
I don't really understand the aspect ratio stuff (since your capture
resolution is still effectively 4:3), so I have no idea what is required
to keep it.

> Thanks Geoff.  I will have a play with the transcode stuff real soon.  If
> I understand the discussion correctly it seems that (as a DVB viewer) I
> just have one profile that I need to adjust, the MPEG2 option under the
> Transcode group.  Seems that I can ignore resolution, etc and basically
> the only configurable params are codec, bitrate and audio rate?  Is this
> about right?
that's about it.  the 'Auto scale' switch for bitrate should be set as
well, since you don't necessarily know what the input resolution will be.
 I'll probably clean up the recodingprofile stuff sometime to disable
switches that make no sense when using the transcoder.  As I said, the
transcoder igonres resolution, settings, and just uses the resolution of
the original recording, since we have no method of manipulating it.  And
I'm not sure how to deal with your aspect-ratio stuff once transcoding is
done (since I don't even understand how it works yet)
.Geoff