[mythtv] What format are the transcoded files in?(was: RE: transcoding mpeg2 -> mpeg2)

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Oct 5 08:36:20 EDT 2003

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 16:08:06 +0200, "Torsten Schenkel
torsten.schenkel-at-web.de |mythtv/1.0-Allow|"
<j19fhm6efm0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> Hi,
>
> still playing with transcode. I set transcoding to mpeg4 getting nice
> 1GB/hour files that play nicely from mythtv. However mplayer or xine
> only see an audio file, which when they start to play it only crackles
> in the speakers. I dont't have any problems playing other divx3/4/5 or
> vidx files in mplayer, so there seems to be some header info missing, or
> the files aren't mpeg4 as they're supposed to be.

> Am I missing something, or is it a bug?
> (Most likely I'm missing something, so please point me in the right
> direction)

This is how it is supposed to work.  Mpeg4/rtjpeg is just the codec.  It
has nothing to do with the container used for storing video.  The
container is nuppelvideo (with changes made by Isaac and others).
Mplayer needs a patch to play these files.  I don't think there is a
patch for xine.  If you want to make divx/xvid or something comaptible
with other players, you'll need to try some of the 3rd party utilities
like mythencode.  The downside is you won't bve able to play these
recordings with myth (unless you use mythvideo)

.Geoff