[mythtv] Re: slight update of the danish mythtv translation.

Tobias Blomberg blomman at ludd.luth.se
Sun Oct 5 16:02:08 EDT 2003

On Friday 03 October 2003 11.46, Stefan Frank wrote:
> Tobias Blomberg <blomman at ludd.luth.se> writes:
> >> Is there really any reason for having the various language names
> >> translated?
> >
> > Maybe not neccessary, but it feels good for completeness.
> >
> > In my opinion, everything that can be translated should be translated.
> > Language names are after all just words. However, it's a special case
> > since you actually choose the language with these words. I did the
> > following translation: "Swedish" became "Svenska (Swedish)" and "Danish"
> > became "Danska (Danish)" and so on. No information lost :-)
> >
> > / Tobias
>
> I might be nitpicking, but in imho all the translations should follow a
> common style. For german, the language selection is already translated. But
> thinking about it, it makes more sense to me to always display a languange
> in it's own word. So Swedish would always be shown as 'Svenska' no matter
> what language is currently selected. Reason being that swedish people might
> not recognize 'Swedish' as their mother-tonge but will know
> 'Svenska' immediatelly. Ok, poor example as the swedish people are known
> for their english language skills but you get the idea.
>
> If others agree we'd need to collect the proper spelling for all available
> languages in mythtv.
>
> So here's the first one for easy reference :-): "Deutsch".
> If everyone can figure out the language, we don't even need to add an
> english translation.
>
> Bye, Stefan
>

> PS: it's a good sign if we start discussing such 'minor details'.

This, of course, is the correct solution. The languages should always be
displayed using the languages own word for it. If you don't understand the
name for a language, don't select that language. And it's easy to get back to
the right language if you select one you don't understand.

I have changed the source to do this instead. Let's see if the patch get
accepted. All translators should check the spelling of their language in case
I got it wrong. I think they're correct though.

There is another problem as well. It can be hard to find where to set the
language if you don't speak English. Maybe there should be a new top level
menu entry called "Language Settings". Then we could move the
language/date/time settings to this screen. What do you think of this, Isaac
?

/ Tobias