[mythtv] MythTV Hardware Architecture

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 10 10:58:22 EDT 2003

On Friday 10 October 2003 12:55 pm, Bruno Rodrigues wrote:

[snip]

> Every module should be able to read data from backend and frontend.
> Having backend read data from frontend as I read in this mailing list is
> low priority IMHO (look for zero-conf comments). For example, mythmusic
> should stream files in backend server AND read from local disk and local
> cdrom. Same for mythpicture, and mythvideo.
> If you use mythdvd, you'll want to read local dvd, but you'll probably
> want to send dvd data to be compressed in backend server.

This has been mentioned before (at least for MythMusic).  Yesterday I actually
started to look at the remote file transfer code to see how easily it could
be done.  One side-benefit would be to have buffering in MythMusic
(currently, if you get a little network latency over a network-mounted music
directory, your playback gets rather stuttery).  Anyway, I said I started
looking at the code... which means absolutely nothing, of course, but you
never know, I might actually get around to doing it.

> If you want to have more than two frontends, mythtv should allow second
> frontend to access live tv streaming instead of saying that there's no
> tuner and I should go play a stream in other menu. You'll then get
> several frontends playing live tv but only first one connected will be
> able to change channels and so. It might even be possible to change
> who's in command (if I go to bed and forgot to turn off living room
> frontend, I'd like to change channels).

...or at least present the user with a choice:  watch your own LiveTV (or not
if no tuners available) or watch LiveTV currently being controlled by
<hostname>, who is watching channel <channum>.  Cool.

> Aditionaly, plugins should be better integrated to allow showing weather
> in a translucent window over your tv feed.

An uber-OSD would be nice, yes.

> Please note that these are not "please do this for me". I'd be glad to
> do more code for mythtv and my only problem is lack of time. I'd like to
> have this discussion first before trying to code something..

Great, looking forward to seeing your first patch...

-JAC