[mythtv] Dual tuners, LiveTV, why must LiveTV always be interrupted?

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Sun Oct 12 22:37:30 EDT 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Joe Votour wrote:

> I only have a basic system of two tuners using analog
> cable.  The algorithm is really simple:
> - If the tuner for the scheduled recording is busy,
> then find the next free tuner.
> - If there are no free tuners, then use the scheduled
> tuner (and pop up the dialog box as normal).

With the existing database, if you know what channel you want to tune,
you can find in the channel table which source it is received on, and
from there which cardinputs can tune that channel.

That way you can make sure you only choose between inputs connected to
the right source.

The existing database doesn't seem to really handle the situation
where you have several sources with an overlapping set of channels.

For that, how about adjusting the MythTV database to introduce a
"tuning" table that adds a mapping between a channel and a
videosource, rather than having a channel linked to one source only.

When you have a recording to make off a particular channel, you can
join to the tuning table and find all the videosources that receive
that channel (and in the tuning table you can store how to tune that
channel on that source).

Having identified the useable videosources you can follow back from
sourceid to cardinput and capturecard and find a free one.

Regards,
Steve