[mythtv] Request - disable screensaver

Cliff Draper Cliff.Draper at Sun.COM
Fri Oct 17 13:17:43 EDT 2003

From: "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:41:14 +0000
> I'm not sure it's as simple as that... while it will enable the screensaver, I
> think there might still be a problem.  In my experience before I disabled the
> screensaver, if the screensaver kicked in while I was watching something,
> taking actions with my LIRC remote didn't clear the screensaver; I needed to
> plug in a real keyboard or mouse to get it to clear.  I think this is because
> the LIRC device is not recognized as an X input device; it merely runs
> through a client program that fires off X-events.  So, yes, you could turn on
> the screensaver when in 'menu' mode, but if your only input is a remote
> control you won't be able to clear the screensaver.

Yes, I think you're right here.  Well, I see 2 ways to save the `xset s on`
idea: figure out how to make LIRC better emulate a keyboard, or call
`xset s reset` for every keypress that myth gets.  I think the latter
would work, but the former would be more elegant.

> The real solution is to build screensaver calls directly into Myth.  Shouldn't
> be that hard.

What do you mean by direct screensaver calls?

Cliff Draper    Sun Microsystems, Forte Tools
My opinions may or may not reflect those of my employer.
"A committee is a cul de sac to which ideas are lured and then quietly
strangled.".   John A. Lincoln