[mythtv] Some suggestions...

Desmond Rivet desmond_rivet at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 26 19:10:43 EST 2003

Hi,

> > I have a few minor suggestions for the MythTV GUI. I realize that I'm
> > getting this software for free and I don't want to give the impression
>that
> > I'm complaining :) For the most part, I love MythTV, but there are a
>couple
> > of annoyances. This is with the default theme on a 27 inch TV.
> >
> > 1. I can barely see if a checkbox is "checked" or not.
>
>Try using a different Qt theme.

Will do. I'll look into it.

> > 2. The setup menus are rather deeply nested. Would it be possible to
> > include titles telling me what setup screen I'm on?
>
>It has titles -- what do you mean?

Errr...well this is really just me nitpicking. For example, when you are at
the main screen and you pick "Setup" you go to the Setup screen. Then you
can pick TV Settings. Then you can pick "General". It just seems to me that
the screens here are nested fairly deeply and it would be nice to have some
sort of title/banner at the top telling you that you are now at the
"Setup/TV Settings/General" screen/wizard.

> > 3. I can barely see when a particular part of the GUI (text field,
> > checkbox, etc) is highlighted. Would it be possible to make highlighted
>GUI
> > elements more visible?
>
>Same as #1 -- use a different Qt theme.

Righteo.

> > 4. When I re-enter a setup screen I often notice with some screens that
>the
> > settings I just chose, say  a few minutes ago, are reset to some default
> > values, as opposed to being set with the values I just entered. I'll
>have
> > specific examples shortly. Wouldn't it be better to populate the GUI
>with
> > the actual current values?
>
>It always populates with the actual current values.  If you don't go
>through
>the entire section wizard, it doesn't save the new values, of course.

Ah...That might have been it. Sorry.

> > 5. Is there a way to do a simple thing like see what shows the
>mythbackend
> > is set to tape for the week? To see what my current recording rules are?
>
>http://master.backend.ip.address:6544/

Cool, I never knew you could do this!!!!

:D

Maybe this should be an screen in Mythfrontend though? Or like you said,
just go through "Fix Scheduling conflicts"....

Desmond