[mythtv] gentoo install issues

Greg.Froese at Federated.CA Greg.Froese at Federated.CA
Wed Sep 3 00:52:37 EDT 2003

I've setup myth in gentoo and i'm coming across this error when running
mythtv.

connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543
Setting master volume: : Invalid argument
Setting PCM volume: : Invalid argument
Reading PCM volume: : Invalid argument
Opening OSS audio device ''.
Error opening audio device ():
No such file or directory

The audio device repeats a million times before I get an error about a
file not found for the theme, and can't find the font, no osd will be
loaded, and then a black screen comes up.

As for the sound issue: my alsa is configured and working, not sure why
myth is looking for OSS.
What have I done wrong here and how can I fix it?

thanks to all the people who contribute to myth to make it the best piece
of OSS out there.   keep it up.
gf