[mythtv] Not every file is installed

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 5 02:13:58 EDT 2003

On Thursday 04 September 2003 23:47, Andy Preston wrote:
> I'm currently setting up a box for mythtv using packages that I'm
> building on another box. I'm using checkinstall and both machines are
> running Slackware-Current. I've found that not every needed file is
> installed as part of "make install". Is this deliberate or
> unintentional? So far I've found that none of the .sql files are
> installed, nor is the setup program installed. The only copies are in
> the appropriate source directories so that they don't get included in my
> packages.

The .sql files aren't installed because they're not needed at runtime.  They
are themselves part of the 'build' process; they are used to build the
database initially.  There's really no reason to have them hanging around
after the database has been created.

The backend setup program is not installed, true.  I don't know why.
Personally, I always install it to /usr/local/bin under the name
'mythbackend-setup' so that I can access it from time to time; though it's
rarely 'needed' once the system is initially set up, unless you change
hardware or cable providers.

-JAC