[mythtv] How to edit the gui? (And some profile related stuff)

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Sep 8 19:51:48 EDT 2003

I am pretty much finished with my profile patch.  Basically the idea is
that each card is associated with a default, and 'live' profile, along
with having all other profiles associated with it as 'allowed'.  Any
profile can be assigned to multiple cards.
Also, each recording can be associated with any defined profile.  If a
program is assigned a profile, all cards capable of recording the program
are checked to see if they are capable of recording the defined profile.
A card which is capable of recording using the requested profile is given
a higher priority than a card which can't.  This means that if there is a
card free to record a program, it will be recorded, but it will try to go
to a card that can record using the desired profile first.

Anyhow, it is all coded up (though not yet tested), but I hit a snag.  I
don't know enough about modifying the gui to add a new menu to allow
profiles to be associated with cards.

My view for the menu is that on the currect 'Recording' screen (the one
that lists all profiles), there would be a button with a title something
like 'Associate profiles...'  (Alternatively, a second menu could be
created with 'Edit Profiles' and 'Associate Profiles' butrtons..I don't
really care)  This (the 'Associate Profiles' button) would then give a
list of available cards (in the same list view as is used to display the
profiles).  When a card is selected, the user gets a list of profiles
again (but pruned down to those that are compatible with the card).  And
can select as many as he wants.  the default would be maked with
'(Default)' and Live-TV likewise.  Ideally each of these menus would have
a title on top of them, so the user doesn't get lost.

It is several menus, and uses different selection methods than I've seen
elsewhere in myth (multi-select combo-box).  And I have no idea how to do
this, or where to begin.

Even something basic, like adding a button at the bottom of the current
'Recording' page is beyond me.  Can anyone give me an idea of how to
begin?

I could test what I've got now, and send it in (There should be no
functional change if all cards are assigned the existing 'Default' and
'Live TV' profiles, but there is really no point if there is no GUI to
modify the associations.  I'd rather get the whole thing working first.

.Geoff