[mythtv] If you use the transcoder please read

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Sep 11 23:37:40 EDT 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 03:35:15 +0200, "J.D. Bakker
bakker-at-thorgal.et.tudelft.nl |mythtv/1.0-Allow|"
<mir0hl2v6a0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> I for one would prefer option 1. IMHO it makes more sense from an
> user POV, as it offers a 'quality' abstraction for the myriad of
> card/codec/bitrate tunables.
>
> As an example, I currently use the auto-expire feature to keep the
> last dozen or so news broadcasts. This would be an ideal candidate
> for the 'Low' profile, and I would probably set it to auto-transcode
> after recording. The advantage is that this gives predictable disk
> usage and quality *regardless of which capture card the scheduler
> happened to pick*. In this case, I'd want my news broadcasts to
> always end up as 576x576 1500Kb/s MPEG-4 files.
Well, the question is what is the primary use for the transcoder.  As it
turns out, dealing with the manual-transcode case is pretty much binding
my hands, so I think the final solution will likely be that there will be
three transcoding profiles (one for MPEG2, RTJpeg/MPEG4, and MJPEG), but
they will be grouped as a profile-group (so you set them all together).
This also leaves open the possiobility of doing method (1) as well.  I
won't do it now, but it wouldn't be too hard to imclude the standard 4
profiles under the Transcode group (giving you a total of 7 Transcoding
profiles).  The 4 would only be used for auto-transcode, the 3 for manual
transcode.  Personally I think it is too complicated, but my
implementation should make doing so trivial.

> JDB
> [on a semi-related note, would it be possible to attach a 'card
> scheduling order' to each profile group ? I'd like to have the news
> stuff recorded by my old bttv card, so my PVR250 is free for Live TV.
> For movies it's the other way round]

I don't know that the profile groups are the right place to deal with
scheduling.  I think it should be dealt with seperately, and I don't plan
to do so.  Besides, you can already use the rank to accomplish this (sort
of), and I think enhancing that might be a better way to go about it.

.Geoff