[mythtv] If you use the transcoder please read

Fri Sep 12 10:07:28 EDT 2003

> Neither of these solutions is perfect, and they both have pretty much the
> same problem:  You might have 'High' set to 640x480 for bttv, and 720x480
> for PVR.  If you select a fixed video-bitrate, then one of your
> transcodings will not be at the optimal setting.  this can be mitigated
> by allwing myth to auto-scale the bitrate based on resolution, but it
> isn't very intuitive.  (2) suffers more from this, as it is more likely
> that 'High' quality settings will be comparable across profiles, than
> that all of the 'MPEG' profiles will be comparable.  (1) Has a second
> problem.  When you start an interactive transcoding, we don't know what
> profile it is associated with.  I can detect the recording type (MPEG2,
> MPEG4, RTJpeg), but there is no way to map that to a quality level.  If I
> go for option (2), I can choose a profile based on the recording format.

Thinking ahead for HDTV cards and DVB cards where you potentially have different programs broadcast in different resolutions though (eg a wide-screen film get's broadcast in widescreen, and a 4:3 prog is in 4:3).  Would it make sense to have an auto-scale for these?

Just a thought