[mythtv] FileSystem to use for Myth (was Re:Channel change sp eed)

Kendrick Vargas ken at hudat.com
Mon Sep 15 19:16:46 EDT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 04:58:56PM -0400, Kendrick Vargas wrote:
>
> > The 2.4 kernels are lacking a number of vfs layer features that would make
> > a XFS port complete. XFS is supposedly gonna be the cause of a massive
> > filesystem overhaul in 2.6 because of the requirements it has for proper
> > operation. So... just keep that in mind if you're running this on a 2.4
> > kernel :-)
>
> There is no more future tense when talking about 2.6 architectural changes;
> 2.6.0-test* are here, and any overhaul that hasn't been done already isn't
> going to go into 2.6.
>
> That said, I have no data on whether XFS in 2.6 works well, or whether any
> such changes were in fact made.

Well, I have reason to believe they were. I'm going off of reading and
stuff I remember early-middle of last year or before. So the development
was at the very least going on.

> > Also, keep in mind that XFS was developed specifically because SGI needed
> > to be able to move around and handle large media files in it's rendering
> > farms. So it's been developed with this application in mind :-)
>
> This is true.  But it was also designed with a different operating system in
> mind, which is probably why it's taken such a long time to mature on Linux.

Well, that was the reason I remember reading for the vfs overhaul. SGI
made alot more information in terms of I/O tuning and monitoring and
dumping of misc bits than Linux 2.4. Because of this, a bunch of crap was
modified in the 2.4 fs layer to accomodate proper running of XFS,
and subsequently provided much more useful interfaces to the other high
performance filesystems on linux. In all it was supposed to be a damn good
upgrade.

Even if XFS isn't shipped with the 2.6 kernel (which would suck), I think
the fs improvements are supposed to be there. And it may just show up in
one of the later 2.6 point releases.
			-peace

--
Let he who is without clue kiss my ass