[mythtv] Re: FileSystem to use for Myth (was Re:Channel change speed)

Steele Price steele at xtcp.net
Mon Sep 15 17:22:59 EDT 2003

Speaking of system drives...

<snip>
> Personally I concur with Ben: For a system partition like /boot, / or
> /usr, I'd be conservative and use ext3, but for /var/lib/mythtv I'd go
> for XFS.
</snip>

Has anyone tried to stuff the system onto a CF card in an IDE slot yet?
I am thinking of doing this once we get DVB-S stabilized, not to speed
things up terribly, but to separate the system without having to add yet
another hard drive.  A 256-512M CF card should be plenty to handle this
(maybe using KnoppMyth) and you can mount /var as your media drive in
XFS/Reiser, whatever, then tmp files can go there too.  Along this line I
am transcoding everything recorded, then moving it off to a fileserver
every night.  that way the frontend/slave-backends can keep plenty of
space available for more recordings.  A nice touch would be a firewire
connected nas box or some such that can move files a little faster than
the std ether100 connections.

Steele Price
CTO
Digital Dreamshop