[mythtv] Caller ID

Shawn Rutledge e_cloud at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 16:54:03 EDT 2003

--- Jason Schloer <schloer.jason at tangoinc.com> wrote:
> Figure I'll jump in here. It seems that a "mythOSD" is in order, but
> not
> necessarily as a separate module, more like an integral part of the
> Myth
> module system. I posted a question recently about having an OSD menu
> for
> a Home Automation system so that I wouldn't have to go out to the
> main
> menu to do the things I want to do. In mentioning this I said making
> it
> part of the plugin interface wouldn't be a bad idea. Isaac indicated
> that's sort of what he had in mind. My thought is that we should take
> care to do this well the first time and design a nice extensible
> framework before diving into development.

I agree.

> Then from this a MythNotify module could be made which could accept
> any
> type of connection we'd like. Have it monitor a UDP port, setup a
> device
> in dev, whatever. This module would translate the incoming message

I'd probably be inclined towards some sort of filesystem interface,
like a named pipe, into which external processes can dump stuff
intended for the OSD in XML format.  And maybe it could handle plain
text too, by noticing that there are no open tags at the time some
non-whitespace text was seen; in that case a newline would delimit the
end of one OSD message.  That way any process can do something like

echo "boo!" > /var/myth/osd

and lots of existing programs like tail, cron, at, biff, etc. could run
with stdout redirected there.

=====
. _______  Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD ecloud at bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)    http://ecloud.org/  kb7pwd at kb7pwd.ampr.org