[mythtv] How to submit some code?

Trey Ethridge tale at juno.com
Fri Sep 19 03:07:21 EDT 2003

I've coded the necessary changes to allow the addition of a "Shutdown" option on the main menu that would bring up the same dialog that usually is displayed when you select <X>-Esc in the main menu (<X> depends on how you have it configured).

I think this would be nice to include on the default menu.  I simply killed the process for mythtvfrontend the first few times I ran it until I found the configuration option.  I've had a buddy that couldn't figure out how to shut it down too, when I first introduced him to the app.  I think this would be good for non-techies like my wife.  I don't want her hitting the power button to turn off the computer when she can't remember the key combination.  :)

Ok, I'm usually a windows programmer so please tell me if this is the right way to submit my code.  I used diff -c on the two files that I changed and sent the output to a diff file.  I think that patch can use the diff file to patch the original files.  I've got the tarball ready to send when I find out who to send it to.  Just let me know.

By the way, can some of you core developers tell me what environment you use to develop with?  Are you using Qt Designer?  I couldn't get it to work very good with the code that I got out of CVS.  I would love to have some IDE that would allow me to pull all of the projects into a master solution (if you guys don't mind me using dotnet lingo).  Is that possible?  I'm not asking for hand holding, just some links to docs and some ideas that might same me some frustration.  I would also like to know how I can set breakpoints (graphically?) so that I can step through the code.

Ok, that's a lot for one email.  I'll stop with the questions now.

-- tale