[mythtv] "Allow recording even if duplicate episode" is ignored?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 25 00:34:15 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 17:28, Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:
> On 24 Sep 2003 17:08:43 -0400, "Derek Atkins warlord-at-MIT.EDU
> |mythtv/1.0-Allow|" <j0xjhlc9ur0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> > Gregory McLean <gregm at gxsnmp.org> writes:
> >
> > > One would _assume_ that the programs are duplicates if they match? To
> > > me the above sounds like a duplicate. Both descriptions are empty and
> > > the titles and subtitle are the same unless I'm missing some subtle
> > > thing somewhere.
> >
> > The problem is that because the description is empty it is not
> > being treated like a duplicate.  The logic appears to be:
> >
> >   a.title = b.title AND a.subtitle = b.subtitle AND a.description =
> >   b.description
> >   AND a.title != NULL AND a.subtitle != NULL AND a.description != NULL;
> >
> > It's the last piece that is causing the "failure" -- the empty
> > description.
> Why go overboard with features and switches?  I'd say, don't add controls
> where common-sense works just as well.  Why not submit a patch that fixes
> the logic, and see if Isaac will accept it.

I don't consider it going 'overboard' if it gives me the ability to always
have it 'do the right thing'.  Some series I record always have a subtitle
but no (or the same) description, and others always have a unique description
but no (or the same) episode title.  Rather than forcing me to accept someone
else's idea of what constitutes a duplicate, I think a UI to allow me to
choose the behavior makes the most sense.  The Advanced Recording screen is
the ideal place, as it's meant for folks you want that extra level of
control.  Those that want as simple a GUI as possible should use the standard
recording screen.

Just my $.02

-JAC